From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2011 15:22:20 +1000
> Antibiotics have been used for the prevention of foulbrood since the
> 1940s. I have personally used them since the 1970s. I have officially
> inspected large outfits where antibiotics are routinely used to prevent
> foulbrood > and outfits where they are never used. I reckon I have a
> pretty good idea how they work.

It might mask the AFB but it doesn't cure it.  There was a study done here
in Australia back in the early 1990's, I recall, where AFB infected hives
were given a dose of oxytetracycline.  In the hives, it looked good for a
while and the clinical symptoms were gone but those hives did break down
with AFB at a later stage.  Some took up to 15 months.

There are many stories of beekeepers who have used oxytetracycline for years
and then stopped, having a breakdown of hives with AFB.  I have in fact
asked many American beekeepers if you stopped using the oxytetracycline what
would happen?  Most say their hives would breakdown with AFB.  So it might
stop hives exhibiting clinical signs but it certainly does not cure it.

Here in Australia we had very little AFB until EFB turned up and beekeepers
started using oxytetracycline.  There are many cases of beekeepers about to
use oxytetracycline and getting a lab test on the infected brood only to
find they had AFB and not EFB.  You might say that they should know the
difference but there are some beekeepers who do not.  Some are only honey
grubbers and don't go down below the excluder and thus don't do brood
inspections.  So much easier for these to just give a dose of
oxytetracycline every so often and get on with producing honey.

So back to the original theme where it was suggested that dosing up swarms
with oxytetracycline implying it would stop that hive from getting AFB.
Again I would reiterate that if the oxytetracycline only kills vegetative
stage, then the bees would need to store the antibiotic and use it when the
AFB spore vegetated to be useful.  If all the antibiotic was consumed, then
there would be none left to kill the vegetative stage at a later date.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA