Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2011 13:06:28 GMT
You can keep the packaged bees caged for a few days if there is nicer weather in the forecast.  I would hive them indoors where the temp is at least 45-50 F though.  I don't buy packages but I have done this with swarms or artificial swarms coming out of a bee vac.

What I do is fairly straightforward.  Have a deep with 10 frames with 1-2 empty deeps over it.  Don't forget to screen or block the entrance is screened or blocked!  Bring a single light (a very small flash light is perfect for this) to just over the frames and switch off other lights in the structure (garage, shed etc.).  Place a package box on the frames in one corner - small package side down.  Smoke the bees somewhat and gently open the package and transfer the queen cage to in bet. frames.  You'll need to shake/brush the bees adhering to the cage off  or let them move out of the way as you insert the cage bet. the frames.  Put an inverted  jar of syrup near the queen cage - 1/2 gallon to start I'd think.  Don't shake the bees out of the package box - they will come out and cluster on the queen cage.

Switch off the flash light and shake any bees off of it in the dark.  Still In the dark, place an inner cover with a small board or still #4 mesh covering the hole.  Switch the lights on and collect any escaped bees.  Insert these, one by one, through the inner cover hole by moving the covering board back and forth.  You will not lose your package this way and the indoors conditions will make it easier for the bees to build comb.

Move the hive out when the weather breaks and put the inner cover over the deep with the frames.  Keep feeding.  You may want to feed them pollen or substitute if natural pollen is 1-2 months away.

Waldemar