From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 06:50:22 -0700
Bob was asking about the price of honey.  I have no further news, but can shed
some light on world sugar.  It is trending down and approaching long time lows.
I recall I saw it at 2.5c or so a decade or more back, but at the current price,
and considering the decay of currency over time, I would think that we are well
below the cost of production and also at a low.  Several charts can be found at
http://futures.tradingcharts.com/menu.html

The prices for the #11 contract are not to be confused with the artificial
domestic prices which prevail in many countries due to import restrictions or
tariffs.  It is the real price of the standard, almost fully refined product in
bulk on ships in various ports worldwide.

It can vary in price quite a lot without affecting what we as beekeepers pay for
bee feed.  Nonetheless it is a competitor to honey and the low price currently
shows that the world has a surplus of sweets.

allen
-----
See if your questions have been answered in over a decade of discussions.
BEE-L archives & more: http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Bee-l.htm
Search sci.agriculture.beekeeping at http://www.deja.com/
or visit http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee to access both on the same page.