From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 2014 21:24:20 -0500
The National Honey Bee Advisory Board is really on the wrong side of this one. New technologies are mostly safer for honey bees than the old ones, ask those of us old enough to remember the bad old days. They say:

> The fledgling arena of GMO plants and the recent developments of RNA interference (RNAi) technology for plant modification are a most cogent example of theoretical promises not yet realized or understood.

Fledgling arena of GMO plants? This not a new field; see: Jaworski, E. G. (1985). Biotechnology: Prospects and Perspectives. U. Kan. L. Rev., 34, 655. Instead, GMO food is mainstream and has not been linked to any disorders, unlike other modern food technologies such as trans-fat, high fructose corn syrup, and the various old style pesticides like DDT, organophosphates, etc. We are in the process of rejecting those products and moving to newer, smarter technology. The alternative is to give up controls altogether and let agricultural pests destroy the fruits of our labor.

PLB