From:
"Alyn W. Ashworth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 09:46:36 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Greg & Melinda
Holley <[log in to unmask]> writes
>I am a 3rd year hobbyist with 4 hives in SW Virginia.  (3 Italian, 1
>Carniolian) I have several questions.
Hi! from one hobbyist (6 hives) to another (and another). I'm sure
you'll get some more comprehensive answers from elsewhom, but FWIW..

>1. Do I need to be checking my hives
>now to see if they still have enough food/honey?
Difficult to say from my position so far away! - How did you prepare
them for the winter last year? Have you tried hefting the hives to check
their weight?

>2. Several people have
>given me old, dark honey they had for several years; is this okay to feed
>the bees?  if yes, how do you feed it?
I would say NO. Feeding bees honey from another hives, let alone an
unknown source, is a great way to pass on foul brood.

>3.  I would like to raise queens
>from my Carn. queen;  if I try this having 3 other hives of Italians will
>the new bees be a mixed breed with a bad disposition?
You probably have little or no control over the drones that your Q will
mate with, unless you know that there are no other hives within about
ten miles, and no feral colonies either.

--
Alyn W. Ashworth
Lancashire & North-West Bee-Keepers' Association. UK.