From:
Gary LaGrange <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 2015 21:15:32 -0500
I maintain 6 hives as an exhibit at a zoo in Manhattan, Kansas. When I took the supers off during mid-July, I noticed bright red honey. Lots of it. Without my knowledge, a doctoral candidate from Kansas State University had sprayed gallons of 1:1 sugar water with red food grade dye on trees around the zoo.  He then trapped mosquitoes to determine the number ingesting the red sugar water. He found many but of course the bees found it also and created about 180 pounds of bright red honey in the total take of 465 pounds. It was approved by the KDA and FDA for sale. I met the person conducting the research yesterday. He stated that including pesticides in sugar water is a common method used by mosquito control agents all across this country. He had not included a pesticide in this study. He said that newly hatched mosquitoes are attracted to the sugar and it is in his words a very effective and much used way to kill mosquitoes. My immediate thought was that, if he is correct, this could be a major stressor for bees where such sprays are used. Anyone aware of any research in this area or someone who could shed light? He will provide his research papers when finished including this unexpected wide ranging potential to harm pollinators.
Gary