Date:
Tue, 29 May 2007 15:16:31 GMT
We are experiencing a beautiful black locust bloom here in southern
NY and the weather has been great (no rain, very warm days, cool
nights => perfect conditions for black locust nectar secretion).  I
expected to see a lot more bee traffic during this time.  The hives
are super strong with extra supers under the honey already put away.
Plenty of room to expand.

Has anyone experienced this?  Any insights/thoughts?  I read Walt
Wright's (www.beesource.com/pov/wright/bcjan05.htm) piece on 'storage
lull' in certain areas of the country during the black locust bloom.
It appears that if the bee development is out of phase with the
trees' development, the bees will take a break from collecting the
locust crop.  I'd like to induce them to change their mind!

Waldemar
Long Island, NY