From:
Robert MacKimmie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 19:42:14 -0700
I would like to follow up on the comments of Ted Fischer and others
regarding Foul Brood and treating with Terramyacin.

In my first year, I received nine hives in trade for work provided to a
commercial beekeeper. He gave me his dog hives because they were small and
easy to relocate  -- and I violated the first rule of beekeeping by
inheriting someone else's ills.

At first I reacted modestly to the challenged hives, trading out the worst
equipment and this helped momentarily. When foul brood showed up again in my
beautiful new first generation comb, I was heartbroken at bees' and my lost
work, not to mention the loss of brood. I immediately became vigilant about
treating properly with terramyacin, after shaking the bees into entirely
pristine equipment. I heartily agree with Ted that you CAN knock the AFB
problem, if you address all of the issues at once, leaving no trace of foul
brood in the colony.

As a follow-up anecdote, I had one hive of those nine hives that seemingly
was challenged on and off for nine months, though no definite problem could
be nailed down. Finally I swapped out the old deep and two old supers,
replacing them with fresh equipment and new wax --- the hive prospered within
weeks and are strong as can be. I think the equipment was haunted.

From my experience, disease must be treated assertively and the time you
waste in hassling with an unproductive hive will more than compensate the
cost of new equipment. Disease free beekeeping is one of my major priorities.
I have been free of all foul brood for quite some time. I reject the notion
that a little foul brood in the mix will result in a better outcome -- my
observation of that notion is that it results in a time bomb, with lots of
diseased woodenware to burn and an entire operation potentially infected.

Be good to your bees, yourself and your investment.