From:
Cliff Van Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 1996 17:02:23 +1200
I'm enjoying this discussion, particularly the comments re. honey heating.

In 1991 I surveyed the existing standards for organic honey (IFOAM,
BioGro, Demeter), and the honey heating limits left a lot to be desired.  In
particular, the Demeter standard said that you couldn't heat the honey
above 30degC during extraction and processing, which was more than a
bit ironic since brood nest temperature is 34degC.

The BioGro standard said you couldn't heat the honey above 35degC
during extraction and processing.  This would also cause a problem
when you wanted to melt out drums. The good news is that even though
you heat honey in hot rooms or chests at temperatures way above that
amount, if the honey is allowed to run out of the drum (and the hot
room/chest) when it becomes molten, it never gets close to the
temperature in the hot room/chest.  The bad news is that when
Townsend and Adie carried out a temperature test on such honey in
1953, when the hot room/chest temperature was raised to the 57degC
normally used, the molten honey running out of the hot room/chest was
measured at 38degC, 3 deg higher than the BioGro maximum.

The only standard which made sense in this regard was the IFOAM one,
which allowed honey to be heated up to 40deg C during
extraction/processing.   It was still a bit of a compromise for large
extraction facilities however, since it was below the recommended
temperature for spin-float cappings separators like the Cook & Beal.  This
wouldn't be a problem with the new style cappings separators like the
Cire-Press, which squeeze the honey out of the cappings.

The final problem I identified in relation to honey heating for all of the
standards related to retail liquid honey.  For all honeys except those with
a high levulose content, I felt it would be difficult to maintain a decent
shelf-life unless the honey was flash-heated above the limits set in the
standards.

I haven't looked at these standards recently, so I don't know what
changes if any have been made regarding heating.  I also understand
that there are American and European standards not directly related to
the Demeter or BioGro standards.  Does anyone know what limits those
standards place on honey heating?