From:
Richard Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 08:44:33 -0500
Thanks to Michael, James, John, Allen, David and company for the replies on
Kelthane.  The label lists some mites and also says it is a chemical
specific to mites.  Not all mites are listed on the label that the chemical
will kill.

The main reason for my original post was to get people to thinking about
other treatments.  The mites will continually evolve and we must keep trying
to find new methods to protect our bees.   I use apistan, wintergreen oil,
drone brood trapping and will use formic acid when approved.  I don't treat
when a honey flow is on or when supers are on the hives.

Does anyone know how kelthane works?  Our local pet store is using a
chemical on fleas that inhibits specific hormones in the fleas reproductive
system.  I don't know if the beekeeping market is big enough for this kind
of research funding.

I live in south central Oklahoma, USA.  At present I have 14 hives and my
sons have 12.  We raise mostly Italians and have 3-4 hives of a dark feral
bee that is common to the area.

Richard Barnes