From:
Sally Graves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 17:36:06 -0400
I read Ted Wout's account of bee removal from a house with interest since
just last night a neighbor told me a similar story.  Many years ago his
father had honey bees take up residency in the wall of his home.  One day
he happened across a beekeeper & told him about the bees in his wall.  The
beekeeper extracted them the same way Ted did.  He set a hive body with
queen inside on the ground outside of the house. He put cones on the side
of the house wherever he saw bees entering.  The opening of the cone was
about half the size of the little finger.  When everyone was out of the
house & accepted their new queen he took the cones off the house.  The bees
went back into the house & killed the old queen & removed their old store
of honey to take back to the hive body.  Evidently the old beekeeper said
if they were not allowed to remove the honey it would have run down the
wall & into the wall paper etc. making a terrible mess.  This event took
about 3-4 weeks total & all came out well.

Just neat ole' stories passed along.

Sally Graves
Fennville  MI