Date:
Sun, 27 Jun 1999 17:34:40 EDT
    A pesticide applicator looking at the label directions sees that it is
forbidden to apply when bees are foraging in the application area. But,
unless he has a monitor hive, he has no real way to determine when the bees
are there. I have repeatedly asked Clemson to set up a hot line, or a web
site, to post the hours bees are carrying cotton pollen. So far they have
refused, even though I offered to donate the hives that would be needed.  So
I am going to set up a volunteer web site, as part of The Pollination Home
Page.

    I am going to do this for SC, at least, but weather conditions and other
factors would introduce variables for other areas. If you would like to be
part of a network to provide info for your region, you could help to reduce
pesticide poisoning in the entire cotton belt.

    The responsibilities would include having one or two monitor hives close
to cotton and close to where you are, so you can check them several times a
day, twice a week (or more if possible). Note when bees start carrying cotton
pollen. As soon as bees are no longer carrying cotton pollen, e-mail me of
the start/finish hours, so they can be posted for the following day.  If your
bees have a poisoning incident, you should also report that, with as much
detail as you can.

    If you want to do this anonymously, I'll respect that.  The page will
have a notice that this is for information only, done by volunteers, and no
responsiblity will be taken for the use of this info.

    The address of the page will be http://www.pollinator.com/cotton/
(It's not even online yet....)

     I'm sorry, we don't want beginners here. I'm looking for beekeepers with
years of experience around cotton. I hope to have at least one from GA, NC,
AL, MS, TX (2, if possible) and CA and AZ.  If you are not in these states,
but have a significant amount of cotton around you, contact me anyway.

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html
The Pollination Home Page:    http://www.pollinator.com

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm