From:
Thom Bradley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 16:42:49 -0500
Carmenie Stemmler wrote:

> A neighbor planted 5 acres of GRIM alfalfa, one of the
> 5 orginal varieties of alfalfa.  He wants to take the
> seed of this year, and so needs something to pollinate
> it.
>
> Will honey bees to the job, and if so how many hives?
>

> Carmenie

Carmenie,
        Honeybees will do the job of pollinating alfalfa however, they trick
with pollinating alfalfa is to saturate the filed with bees. The
pollination mechanism with alfalfa is a trigger on the flower that will
fall and smack the back of the insect, spreading the pollen. There is
some evidence that honeybees MAY learn to avoid getting smacked and
reduce their effectiveness.
        My general recommendation would be to place at least 2 colonies of
standard (Dave Green standard) pollination hive / acre. Add 1 colony for
having it be a small acreage (if there are other attractive plants
nearby or lack water, shade or lacks in optimum conditions in any other
way). So, sight unseen, my recommendation will be 11 colonies to ensure
good seed viability. Minimum.
        I have a feeling I am about to be called off to the races but, then
again I don't think we discuss pollination enough.

Thom Bradley
Thom's Honeybees
Chesapeake, VA
Tidewater Beekeeper's Association