From:
Greg Hawkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2011 00:19:30 +0000
have summarized threads for context and completeness of thought

I was also at the meeting with Heather. She reported that some bees overwintered  better with Fall pollen supplementation in some years and didn't do any better or did worse  in another year ( in our environment where we  can sometime  see a nice long Fall and sometimes with goldenrod) and recall she proposed that where bees didn't do well over winter it may have been that supplementation stimulated brood rearing and consequently did not promote whatever was needed to promote good winter bees.

What is sometimes missing from presentations, and what distinguishes good ones, is when a presenter can help us interpret their findings in terms of management guidance. Heather proposed what was maybe going on, and that goes beyond what is often provided, so not taking anything away from her for sure. But Peter presents what we can do with it on the ground.

I agree with Bob. Peter if this was your guidance it makes very good sense, and if you found it elsewhere, thanks for digging it out from the confusing mass of literature. I wish I had your access to literature and so appreciate you sharing it with us.

Greg

Everton ON - where we are told we are about to have a tornado!

BORST  ""work by Guelph scientists that suggest that the cessation of the pollen flow is crucial for the bees'  switch into winter mode, and PERHAPS it should not be extended beyond the normal season."" And """In other words, if goldenrod failed, one could use a supplement  during that period but cease when the flow would have ceased. This information pertains primarily to beekeepers that intend to  overwinter their bees for four to six months.""

DaRREL """ helped to arrange a joint meeting featuring Heather Mattila to

speak on her pollen work you mention."" and ""information I didn't glean from Heather's talk but  learned about here @ Bee-L""