From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2013 07:43:43 -0300
On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 11:38 AM, randy oliver <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>  Please allow me to share some actual data, rather than anecdotal reports,
> or self-reported and unvalidated surveys.

You did not post the actual data from:

> Two winters ago, I was involved in a large trial involving about a dozen
> commercial beekeepers from all over the U.S. who moved hives to almonds.

and

> Of those 600 colonies, 200 were in my operation (little agricultural
> exposure).

I don't understand:  a dozen commercial beekeepers but one third of the 600
test hives were yours.
And apparently your survival was

> In my treatment group of 100 hives (treated with an experimental treatment
> that targeted the paralytic viruses), 98 (98%) exceeded 2.5 frames strength
> in January.

But a different grade level was used for the study:  you said you were
going to give actual data not anecdotal reports could we just see the data
from the study and the methodology so we could look at it ourselves as you
post to Bob that you are encouraging us to do.  If a third of the hives in
the study were yours and you had 98 percent then some others had pretty
poor results to come to the average.

On another of your often quoted points: the winter survival (title of this
thread) of hives in Canada on canola:
I just received a copy of a letter from the Deputy Chief Veterinary Officer
of Canada, Dr. Francine Lord in which she says that unofficial reports of
winterkill in  Canada are 50 percent.   This I know is more than what
Medhat posted for Alberta, but I don't know if the official figures are out
yet.  But Dr. Lord says they are going to re-examine the ban on US packages
for Canada as a result of the winterkill.

Stan