Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 22:17:14 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (34 lines)
Hello Allen and All,

Allen wrote:
Apparently it is not at all rare in the bees in the Tucson area.  In fact, I have heard from several sources, that it can be demonstrated at will.

If you look at the facts:

Dr. Gloria DeGrandi-Hoffman, Tucson Bee lab, USDA-ars, Tucson, Ariz. Told us in her talk  at the ABF convention that ALL of Arizona bees could be considered Africanized.  That's her words from my notes. 

Blane White and Dave Hamilton  from the Bee-L list were  also  attending the lecture. 
Blane and Dave correct me if I am wrong about what she said.

Dee quickly responded to my original post and said no study of all Arizona bees had been run to support Dr. Hoffmans conclusions.

My response is:

NO SURVEY HAS BEEN RUN TO DISCOUNT THE HEAD OF THE TUCSON BEE LABS CONCLUSIONS EITHER!

Well maybe there is not enough study been done to convince Dee but there has been to convince me . Trap lines have been maintained for years and thousands of bees from feral swarms have been tested confirming  Africanization.

THELYTOKY IS THE CALLING CARD OF THE ARICANIZED BEE AND SPECIFICALLY THE CAPE BEE.  I was surprised only by the degree of cape bee characteristics Dr. Hoffman was seeing in Arizona bees but not at all surprised to see Thelytoky being found in a KNOWN area of AHB. 

Theltoky is clearly rare in other areas of the U.S. in my opinion.  Will even one U.S. beekeeper on the list from an area not known to be Africanized step forward to report thelytoky in his/her bees?

In my opinion (which I am never shy about giving unlike our timid  researchers it seems)  Dees bees  are showing the Theltoky characteristic simply because of a degree of africanization.  I see no other conclusion.  Some of those swarms Dee  is catching ,hiving and adding to your bees have got to be AHB. 

Until I see proof by testing to show otherwise I simply see any  other conclusion. 

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

Ps. I am finally saying what I believe many on the list have wanted to say for quite awhile! 

ATOM RSS1 RSS2