From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2013 20:03:22 -0400
This is my first post so bear with me please. I have used formic for many years on meat pads, Mite Away II and for 2 years now MAQS. I just completed treatment on 55 colonies and have confusing results. I confirmed heavy infestation via sugar shake of 300 bees. Range low of 6 to high of 32 mites.  Applied standard treatment of 2 pads between double deeps, most with 1 western supper on. On day 8 or 9 I removed the spent pads and did a sugar shake to test efficacy. I had no queen loss, most colonies had significant brood loss but the queen was laying vigorously again. Temps. during treatment were highs in mid 90s lows mid 40s (Eastern WA) Following the exact protocol as the first test here are some representative results.  Pretreat 32, day of removal 9, Pretreat 12 day of removal 4, Pretreat 10 day of removal 20 !!! Are these mites fertile? I know of the claim that males are killed but how does one know? Can they be the original mother mites that survived the treatment in capped brood? These were held over pads from last summer kept in an unheated warehouse. I have some colonies under treatment with new pads that I will test in a few days.