From:
Kirk Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2009 09:08:48 -0500
Hello fellow beeks,

I can add a few tips for pumping feed to the hives. We feed 80 to 96 hive
yards set up with internal "division board" feeders with the feeder all set
to the inside of the pallet. The whole process can be done in under 1/2
hour. It takes 5 seconds to pump a gallon+. Just shift the tops forward a
wee bit to accommodate the gas station type nozzle of 1 inch diameter. They
are available at Tractor Supplies (store)

We have had very good success with a trash water pump. No bypass is necessary.
We have just purchased a new pump from eBay that was delivered for a total
of $200. It is a knockoff of a 6.5 HP Honda.
The hoses and quick disconnects, which I highly recommend, are available at:

Grand Traverse Rubber
985 W Commerce Dr
Traverse City, MI , 49684-9376
Phone: 231-943-4477
FAX: 231-943-4987

I would recommend a two inch pickup hose that fits nicely on a tote. With
disconnects you could change tanks, or put on a longer hose to pump out of
barrels if needed. The totes have shutoffs.

I would recommend a one and a quarter inch delivery hose. Any larger than
that is unnecessary and too heavy for us. We use a 60 foot, but could go
longer is needed. It is big enough to overcome friction problems.

The whole setup is placed on a pallet.

The only problem ever encountered is laying the hose over the muffler and
melting a hole in it. (I hate it when that happens)

Btw, we do also recommend diluting the feed at least 10%, even for fall
feeding. We always add a bit of clorox to reduce any bacterial issues. We
have also added Thymol for the same purposes with no adverse effects.

Kirk www.sleepingbearfarms.com