From:
Ted Wout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 May 1997 01:10:32 -0400
Ian Watson wrote:
>>Ok, Thanks Paul and others.  One more question: when using the bait/cone
method, do you include a queen with the frame or frames of brood, and how
many frames also?<<

The removal that I did this spring was with a few frames of brood that
included swarm cells.  Until the swarm cells didn't produce a live queen, I
didn't have an idea of how well the bees might be attracted to the bait
hive.  There were always some bees hanging around the cone all night long
and the following day.  After I realized that the swarm cells that I
included in the hive were not going to produce a queen, I introduced a
mated queen.  Then the bees really took to the bait hive.  There were never
bees hanging around the cone after that.

Based upon that experience, I would say that you should have a laying queen
in your bait hive.  Use a weak hive or one that you just started and are
sure that is queen-right.

Ted Wout
Red Oak, TX