Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 22:39:43 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
 It <may> be possible to clean metal items to make them acceptable for Kosher use.  A friend of mine "kosherized" his kitchen, and for metal items, like pots and pans, it is possible to make them spiritually clean by heating them to a certain temperature- crews that do this to a persons kitchen may use a blow torch or the like to heat up and clean an oven or metal cookware.
More often, the person just buys all new stuff where possible.
Contact your local orthodox church if you are seriously considering going for the Kosher market.  The rules for most foods are very complex, but the ones for honey are fairly simple- being able to say you have checked out and confirmed the rules with a rabbi will put your customers minds at ease.  First hand information is always better than second when it comes to regulations like this.
If someone is <seriously> concerned about the kosherness of your honey, sell them comb honey, in basswood section boxes, rounds or casettes. (Packed by the bees, not man.) The kosher rules, as explained to me by my friend, were all originally written about *comb* honey.  It is natural honey, in the comb that is inherently kosher, because it is untouched by the hand of man, and is threfore pure.  The kosher rules start getting complex when man starts messing with natures perfection.

Ellen in Michigan
  Jenny Reed <[log in to unmask]> wrote: >
If you use items that were even once used for something other than honey,
or if you bought items used and you don't know for sure, then you may not
tell your clients that you have kosher honey, because you have rendered the
honey not kosher through contamination.

---------------------------------
Do You Yahoo!?
Find a job, post your resume on Yahoo! Careers.

ATOM RSS1 RSS2