From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2015 12:12:54 -0300
Bill

I only know one beekeeper in Chile that uses a Jumbo type of hive.
It is a Langstroth size rim but with Dadant length frames. Therefore 10 and
not 12 frames (or 11) long frames, but with the possibility of placing
Langstroth normal size frames, (making space for drone wax at the bottom).
He uses half dadant super (3/4 of langstroth more or less). It is a very
interesting approach, and as you says, very good for wintering.

The rest of the chilean beekeepers use normal Langstroth. We even have an
offitial norm definning what is a Langstroth hive. The main difference that
you see are in the type of roof. Most use telescopic, but some, mainy from
the central part of the country, uses "American migratory roofs".

Only a few chilean beekeepers, mainly those that claim to have "pure
carniolan genetic" (imported from Austria) use the big Dadant boxes.