From:
Zee Byrd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 11:46:46 -0700
Today my neighbors came over and talked to my husband
about my bees.  (Nice guy that he was (my husband) -
he told them to come back and talk to me when I got
home!)  They say that my bees are bothering them while
they are in their veggie garden, visiting their pond,
etc., etc., etc.

I have 4 hives, which I've had for 6 years.  The first
3 years, the bees were closer to my house (on our half
acre of property).  During those 3 years, the
neighbors did NOT even know I had the bees.
Unfortunately, my husband wanted me to move the bees
to the back of the yard - I don't remember why.  But,
currently, there is a new structure in their original
location, so they cannot be moved back (The new
structure was not immediately placed there at the time
the bees were moved).

Prior to getting the bees 6 years ago, I did check
with the county to make sure I could have them - they
said that my property was zoned for it, so I went
ahead and got them.

Now, the problem - I have nowhere else on my property
where I can move the hives.  I do not want to move
them to anyone else's more isolated property, nor do I
have the option of doing so.

The hives are located at the back corner of my
property, which is about 6 feet from their veggie
garden.  The hives are enclosed on 3 sides by a wooden
stockade fence, which was placed intentionally to keep
the bees out of the neighbors' way.  I have a pond and
bird bath in my yard, which the bees frequent.
Evidently, the bees also like the neighbor's pond and
visit it frequently - and I know I cannot stop them
from doing so.

These neighbors have more than enough people in their
house - grandparents, parents, children, dogs, cats
and who knows what or who else.  They also have a
large in-ground swimming pool (not sure if the bees
have been accused of visiting that as well).  I have
seen the young children in their family playing on the
swings which are also near the bees - I have never
once seen the kids scream or show fear of the nearby
bees - but I can't say that I watch them all the time.
 I don't think the kids were mentioned - I think it is
one or two particular adults in the family
complaining.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can
neighbor-proof my bees and make my neighbors happy at
the same time?

Would a stockade fence high enough along our property
line help keep the bees out of their "hair" in the
garden?  How high should the fence be in order to
force the bees to not fly at face level in their
garden area?

Would trees of some kind (which would not be as
immediate a solution) along the property line help?
Any trees in particular (I live in Maryland, about 15
miles southeast of Baltimore.)  However, I think I
would actually prefer the fence as it might be easier
and quicker to put up.

Giving the neighbors honey is NOT the solution.  I
gave them a jar or two a few years ago and they
promptly gave it to someone else (I was told about
this).  So, they aren't honey-lovers.

How do I handle this situation without angering them
further?  I do want to keep the peace AND my bees at
the same time.

Zee