From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 10:29:38 -0500
>I'm asking this in regards to the bees... is there anything I need
>to avoid using because it could be harmful to the bees?

I don't think you can hurt bees by your choice of *exterior* coating.
Some have even used creosote. I always used a high quality exterior
paint. I suppose oil-based paints are better preservatives, -- but
the ease of use and the elimination of the problem of disposal of
waste paint thinner from clean-up makes latex seem like a better
choice.

Really, the only reason I am writing about this is to remind you to
paint the edges of the hives. Most beekeepers like to stack the boxes
up and either roll or spray the paint on. This is a great time saver,
but they miss the edges. I would definitely prime the edges with a
brush and let them dry before stacking them up.

The edges are very susceptible to moisture and rot.  Paint also helps
prevent the wood from splintering on these vulnerable surfaces.
Another nice touch is to paint down around the frame rest. It makes
this area easier to clean and may inhibit the bees depositing an
excess of propolis here.

--
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>