From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2007 21:05:10 -0500
>The USDA already spent millions importing bees from Russia, and from the
>former Yugoslavia before that. The Russians are probably the best bet at
>this point

Probably the ‘best bet’ only because they didn’t hedge their bets.
Now doing NOT as beekeepers do, but as politicians do.

I remember reading another short comparative study by Tarpy designed to
<<< sell >>> Russians to the public.  Strangely enough, NO mention of the
Russians tendency to swarm in the paper.  If I recall some other absentees
in the paper, IMO seemingly in an effort to  << sell >> Russians over
Italians. IMO, in the effort to find resistance, desired management traits
have been all but ignored.

Tarpys comparative studies:

Tarpy, D. R., J. T. Summers, and J. J. Keller. (2007). Comparison of
parasitic mites in Russian-hybrid and Italian honey bee (Hymenoptera:
Apidae) colonies across three different locations in North Carolina.
Journal of Economic Entomology, 100: 258-266.
http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/entomology/apiculture/PDF%
20files/Tarpy_et.al.2007b.pdf

Tarpy, D. R., J. T. Summers, J. J. Keller, and W. T. Hensey. (2007).
Comparing pairs of Russian and Italian colonies by new beekeepers in North
Carolina. American Bee Journal, 147: 149-152. [PDF]
http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/entomology/apiculture/PDF%
20files/Tarpy_et.al.2007a.pdf

Joe Waggle ~ Derry, PA
‘Bees Gone Wild Apiaries'