From:
"Curtis L. Spacek" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 May 1997 22:47:53 -0500
Hello to all,
  I have been reading the list for about a year.currently operating 2
hives, a feral colony captured in late may 1996,and a colony of Italian
bees which I recently purchased from a local comercial beekeeper w/1500
hives.I recieved the italian bees about a week ago.This consisted of
5 frames of brood and a laying queen.(yet to be verified).Iwas watching
the bees come and go when I noticed dead brood being removed from the
hive by workers.(2 in about 20 mins.)The first was carried off over
my neighbors house so I didn't get a good look at it,however I took the
2nd dead brood away from the worker .upon closer inspection I noticed
the head was eaten away and the thorax was empty,all entrails
removed.The beekeeper told me to be sure and treat the hive(and all
other hives for varroa and foulbrood because of infestations in the
area.I plan to thoroughly inspect the Italian hive tomorrow and plan to
collect drone brood larvae for inspection under a microscope and to
treat with teramicin and grease patties.My question is do bees eat
healthy brood as a population control action or do I probably have a
case of foulbrood on my hands.in any case am I on the right track?
any and all responses welcome.reply to the list or me personally at
[log in to unmask] TO ALL FOR THE ENORMOUS AMOUNT OF INFO.