From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 2009 19:11:51 -0700

> >is the above assertion is for all your colonies (yard) or per colony.
> I mean this oxalic, drone trapping and couple of thymol was applied to each
> hive?

To the majority--we don't treat some of the potential breeders who
maintained very low mite levels.  Unfortunately, we suffer winter loss of a
large percentage of these  :(

Allen, when I ask commercial queen producers, most of their market is to
commercial beeks who simply plan on regular miticide application, and are
more interested in availability of queens at the right time, and their
ability to maintain large brood nests for pollination and honey production.
Mite resistance is not a major factor in purchasing decisions for the bulk
of their sales.  So they have little incentive to produce them.

A second factor is that any queen producer who depends upon spring
pollination contracts for their income will not be able to economically
sustain the kind of winter varroa losses necessary for selection for
resistant stocks.

Randy Oliver