From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 07:30:42 -0400
This message was originally submitted  by [log in to unmask] to the
BEE-L
list  at LISTSERV.ALBANY.EDU.  It was edited to remove HTML formatting.

----------------- Original message (ID=4B788B28) (47 lines)
-------------------
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:29:32 -0500
From: Robert Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
To: Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology
Subject: Re: Varroa control and screen size

As usual, I think Allen is thinking "outside the box" and may be onto
something
concerning the size of mesh used for Varroa screens.  We made all our
screens
out of 8 mesh, because that was what was used by the original prototype from

the Beltsville research station.  I think most everyone else has used 8 mesh
also,
because we have sold a couple of hundred rolls of the stuff.

However, Derrick, the beekeeper who works with me, cut holes in his 4 way
pallets and used 5 mesh because the week he was doing it, we were out of 8
mesh.  He seems to get a much better drop of dead bees and hive residue
through the screen.  This leads me to believe that the commonly available 4
mesh might be even better than the 6 mesh - if mice are not able to get
through it???

As for Spring buildup, as long as air can move under the screen, I believe
the effect will be positive - ie. more Spring build up.  You don't want dead
moisture-laden air underneath the screens.  If you notice, all three of the
Scandinavian Styrofoam hives (the one Swedish and the two Finnish) that
have built-in Varroa screens in their bottom boards have scalloped edges
so that whether you put them on a stand, a pallet, or the ground - air can
move underneath them in the Spring.

Bob Stevens, Betterbee Inc.