From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Dec 2008 17:51:04 +1000
Randy wrote

> There is virtually no pollen in those combs, and in my design, no nectar,
> either.  Using cut-out trap frames gets around the hassle, comb swapping,
> and freezer space issues.  I feel that it would be unwise to add yet
> another
> frame swap between colonies.

I believe the protein comes from the eating of the brood similar to
cannabilism that can occur in dearth conditions or pollen deficient flows.
Not sure what percentage of the effort in raising the drone brood they would
get back but it would be some percentage.

The frame swap between colonies could be managed by numbering frames and
returning to the same colony each time thus minimising disease.  In our
case, we could use our irradiation plant but whether the effort of comb
swapping compared to just removing the brood is worthwhile would be judged
by doing it.  Hopefully in our case not for a long time.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA