Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 12:06:49 -0700
I am a new beekeeper and would appreciate any ideas about using used
equipment.  I have been given equipment used previously in a beekeeping
operation of which I know nothing.  I have discarded the frames and
foundation  as they appeared well used/abused (no drawn comb to save and
what appears to be wax moths and/or webs galore).
What is an appropriate method of cleaning up the hive bodies and supers
insuring that I don't spread disease to my new package bees?  Since we are
limited in re$ources here and about 2 hours from the nearest village,
chemicals (which I'm not too fond of anyway) are not easy to find and
acquire.  I live in a riparian area on the Gila river and am cautious of
any unnatural residues which chemicals can leave behind.  I've heard fire
can be used effectively to remove most disease problems, but is there a
specific way to use fire reasonably.  e.g.- Can I hold and rotate the
equipment over an open flame to sterilize?  Is there a minimum time or
minimum heat requirement to do the job?  What about using solar heating in
or under plastic sheeting?  Would temperatures reach a high enough level?
How long would be required to do the job thouroughly?

p.s.- Am still interested in pollen and honey plants of the southwest ABOVE
5000 ft.  There is NO mesqite here.. Really enjoy the BEE-L group.  Thanks
in advance...