From:
John Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 02:06:19 -0500
Ted Fischer wrote:

I really don't understand what is being discussed here.  From my point of
view (as
a professional anatomist) I understand "his neural network system" as being
essentially the same as his nervous system, i.e. his brain, spinal cord and
nerves.  I don't think that is what is being meant here, so Allen, could you
clue
me in on the ....

Ted, et. al.:

I don't promise this to be a highly scientific definition - its been a few
years since my learning and memory classes. A "neural network" is a form of
artificial intelligence that attempts to solve problems in the same way that
the brain does. Based on a large database of information, the computer(s)
processing in parallel, work through a branch of decisions/predictions
following connections (like the neurons in the brain) that are weighted in
terms of relevance based on past experience.

- John Scott