From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 20:38:16 -0400
>Tom S says, "I find that thoroughly mixing it (Fumidil-B) with dry sugar
>first does the trick."

Yes, I have done that also and it does work.

However, the method that works best and easiest for me is to whip the
fumagillin with warm water in a blender.  Fill the blender container less
than half full of water to allow for the foaming.  I can do a big bottle of
fumagillin in four blenders of water.  I put two bottles in a 1000 litre
tank of sugar syrup after it cools.  I never see a trace of any after the
foam clears, so I assume it is completely dispersed.

It goes almost TOO easy.  It only takes fifteen minutes to dissolve two
hundred dollars worth  :)   It takes considerably longer to dissolve the 800
kg. of sugar (about $700 worth this fall).

I am very impressed with the strength of the low geared agitator motors on
milk tanks.  They are able to mix a large paddle through a thick sugar
slurry.  In fact, on a couple of occasions the points on my milk tank (that
I use for milk) stuck and all the milk froze solid.  Both times I was
awakened in the night by the noise of the tank lid clanging.  The stirrer
was still going around scraping in a hole in the milk ice.

Regards, Stan