From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2013 19:20:03 -0700
>why do research when people are going to ignore the results and keep doing
what they always did? The Canadians you mention have no way of knowing
whether the fumagillin does what they think it does.

I'm in agreement with you Pete, but there is also a large body of older
evidence on N apis that in certain areas treatment with fumagillin resulted
in less overwinter mortality and greater honey production.

This correlation appears to be less clear with N ceranae, but I suspect
that if conditions are such that bees start defecating in the hives due to
prolonged confinement, that N ceranae could go epidemic, with serious
consequences.

The other thing is that our bees may be adapting to N ceranae, and be
becoming more resistant as time goes on.  This could have also happened
with N apis, as evidenced by my chart of USDA data
http://scientificbeekeeping.com/sick-bees-17a-nosema-the-smoldering-epidemic/

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA