From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2018 12:06:19 -0500
> Nuclear epigenetics is still genetics.

This is a tough one, and quite to the point. Epigenetics cannot equal genetics, otherwise, why have the term at all? (Which is a valid question.)

I think the usage here is in regard to heritable markers on the genome (like methylation). A rough and ready definition would be: "Epigenetics is the modification to DNA that impacts gene expression without affecting the underlying genetic sequence."

This is heritable, affects gene expression, but leaves the underlying sequence unaltered. Like using an mixer on multitrack recorded music, the music sounds different but the original recording is unchanged.

Using mitochondria to ID species and subspecies has plenty of doubters. Personally, I find the various studies on genomic DNA to be somewhat baffling. Some people claim large divergences, others claim close similarities, depending on what is compared.

I wish someone could explain to me how these determinations are made. That is to say, how do decide if something is the same or different, other than arbitrarily. It would be far more helpful if the genetic code could translate to behavioral traits, but we haven't seen this yet.

Thanks for reading and helping me to understand better what we are discussing. I am not that clear on it, as you have guessed

PLB