From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2014 08:54:13 -0500
> This is misleading. The lawsuit was initiated by two third generation beekeepers who each manage more than 1500 hives. The father’s of both beekeepers received Canada’s highest beekeeping honour for their service to our industry

This is also misleading. I have met quite a few second and third generation beekeepers whose parents were excellent beekeepers but they were not. Many of them want the kind of lifestyle of their peers without the kind of work load of a commercial beekeeper.

Honestly, there aren't too many career paths less promising than commercial beekeeping. As the saying goes "anyone who can make one thousand dollars with bees can probably make two thousand doing anything else." Trouble is, many second and third generation beekeepers don't know how to do anything else.

BTW, this is not intended as a criticism of beekeepers, simply an observation I have made during my 40 years of contact with commercial beekeepers and the like

PLB