From:
Medhat Nasr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 2009 09:52:19 -0600
Peter said:
I would suggest actual health of colonies over time as the basis for
selection, rather than some sort of
litmus test. In a nutshell, using survivor stock. Regarding the
performance of survivors, bear in mind
that if survival is the key trait you are looking for, then per colony
honey production may take lower
priority.

Comments:

This is true. In my previous breeding program in Ontario. Hygienic was the
last test to perform in preselected stock. Beekeepers will select colonies
based on:
1. honey production
2. winter-ability " This is in Canada, eh!).
3. TM resistance test
4. Hygienic test.

Colonies will be scored and then ranked to pick up the best performing
colonies. We also watch to make sure that there is enough gene diversity
in the selected stock. This goes back to the close population breeding
program principles. Each subfamily of the founding stock should be
represented in each generation to reduce inbreeding effect.

If there is no honey no money.

Medhat