From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2011 18:09:09 -0800

> >I have experienced what looks a lot like CCD to me and am wondering
> about re-using the deadouts.  What are the latest observations and the
> experience of those on this list?

Don't know what to say Allen, some on this list are of the opinion last time
I heard that there was no such thing as CCD.  And remember, CCD has never
been reported from Canada!

Personally, in California, I restocked unsterilized combs from collapsed
colonies with no apparent problem.

However, I am currently running a trial with the surviving colonies from
last year's trial in which we inoculated colonies with viruses from what
were reported as CCD hives from the year before, which then collapsed the
new colonies with CCD-like symptoms.  After the trial, I homogenized and
split up the survivors, and restocked them on the combs from the deadouts,
with fresh queens.  Treated half with fumagillin.

At last inspection two weeks ago, a number had died, and most of the rest
were struggling, but look like they may make it.  Clearly sick, and not
wintering nearly as well as other late-season splits.  Don't know how much I
can blame the combs, as the hives all received combs of brood also, which
could have transmitted an active infection of the viruses and nosema.

So no easy answer to your question based upon my experience.

However, my personal feeling is if the bees that I put on deadout combs
can't make it, tough luck for them, and I will restock until I find bees
that can!  I don't accept wimpyness in my operation.

Randy Oliver