From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 18:25:35 -0700
Hi all

Allen Dick has asked me in the past and even posted it here
concerning 4.9mm foundation, that I take some bees and
place them back onto 5.4 or bigger combs to see what
happens. Do they get badly with mites again!

Well I think this is better course of action in my mind.

Erik Osterlund just found out the following information and
sent it to me and others:

Erik said:
Well I feel I can tell you now what happened to the plastic
foundation with 6.0 mm cell size originally intended for
worker brood I found hidden away.I was amazed at the cell
size. Dave Cushekman suggested I put in in one of my 4.9
hives to see what they would do with it. he suspected drone
brood.You know I did so and they drew perfectly nice comb
out of it, well almost, not at the edges. I put it between
two brood frames. And out came a perfect drone comb. The
colony has been producing nice normal small drones the
whole season from it. You really see a lot of drones with
wings longer than abdomen. The size is not like a mini
drone like from a drone layer queen pr egglaying workers,
but nice drones. I have photos of both frame and drone.

So for the experiment Allen Dick suggested, perhaps those
regressed down now on 4.9mm completely, like Dennis
Murrell, myself,and Lee even in N. Mexico to give variation
of sites, perhaps we should take ONE frame of drawn out
bigger plastic or wax based comb of 5.4mm or bigger, and
place it into the broodnest and see.

If the bees then recognize as drone/honey combs and the
queens lay drones, then we know that the comb produces good
mites and hence a big problem for all for reproduction and
secondary diseases.

So,Hey Allen, now how do I get some big drawn combs of each
size over 5.4mm to see if the queens drone them>>>>>>>!

Regards,

Dee A. Lusby