From:
Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Nov 2016 16:41:17 -0500
Randy> (nothing original--just my assessment of what has actually worked)

>The major finding from this test was that colonies
with queens selected for the suppression of mite re-
production trait possessed a significant level of
resistance to mites when they were free-mated to drones
at commercial beekeeping locations. Therefore, com-
commercially produced queens (mite-resistant queens
that are allowed to mate freely) should provide beekeepers
with some immediate relief from parasitic mites.

Harbo, J. R., & Harris, J. W. (2001). Resistance to Varroa destructor (Mesostigmata: Varroidae) when mite-resistant queen honey bees (Hymenoptera: Apidae) were free-mated with unselected drones. Journal of Economic Entomology, 94(6), 1319-1323.

Question: Is seems like Harbo's work can be considered something that actually works, or is it? If I were to make the investment and fill my apiaries next year with queens from breeders that are following his line, would it make any difference?

Bill Hesbach
Cheshire CT