From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 2010 07:39:10 -0500
>I started  using wood pellets last year and really like them.

 > One thing I have noticed is a LOT of creosote and/or other tar-like
residue in my smoker.

Correct observation. I am working on a smoker design especially for wood
pellets. Current design is the source of the problem. Wood pellet stoves do
not seem as effected.

Empty out the pellets after working the bees (outside grill or safe spot)
will help with the creosote as most is formed by letting the smoker go out
slowly. Cleaning the inside with a hive tool is not hard but oil on the
outside of the smoker can get on clothes. Smoker boxes need cleaned also.

> Makes opening and closing difficult.

True. I tap the the lid to open.

> Iā?Tve been scraping it off around the edge with my hive tool to make the
> top move easier, but am considering using my propane torch to carbonize
> the residue.

Should work.

> I did a search, but only found an old post about soaking in kerosene and
> then burning.

Will work but I usually switch out the smoker after a few months as the tin
which holds the lid on usually wears and most will begin to leak smoke
around the lid seal. Put the old smokers in the bee auction for repair by
those with greater time than me. I never throw smokers away. Although not
sutable for my needs an old smoker purchased for a few dollars at a bee
auction might work fine for a hobby beekeeper.
Same with old bee suits & gloves.

bob