From:
LLOYDSPEAR <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 09:45:54 -0400
Like Peter Keating, for many years I used burlap to go over the top of
multiple nucs in the same box.  then burlap became too expensive.

Kirk Webster, a very successful queen breeder in Northern Vermont, then
suggested using plastic feed sacks.  To my surprise, they are actually
superior to burlap.

Sooner or later the bees will chew through the burlap; they will not chew
through the plastic.  Like burlap, they quickly adjust to the contours of
the frames, preventing bees from one nuc traveling to another.  Also like
burlap, they can be easily peeled back to inspect frames.  If you get lucky,
you can get them used for free.  Unlucky, you pay about $,50 each, brand
new.  Get the 100 pound size if you can as they fit much better than the 80
lb. size.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, manufacturer of comb honey equipment
for beekeepers and Sundance pollen traps.
http://www.rossrounds.com