Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2012 15:43:26 -0500
>>Kate Aronstein
>>ELISA technique for detection of Nosema spores. Review of dipstick test
>>using nosema antibodies. Rabbit anti-nosema antobody. Explained ELISA and
>>its use with nosema.

I wonder how sensitive it is, and what the results would indicate.

We developed an ELISA test for tracheal mites years back, but it was never applied
because of the number of samples required to make a run economical and the fact
that its detection threshold was though to be too high to be practical at the time.

There was talk of turning it into a dipstick, but even though the Canada/US border
was originally  closed due to fear of tracheal, interest in tracheal mites has waned to
almost zero these days.

Last I asked a few years back ( 5?  10? ) the primer was still in storage somewhere.

I wonder if there is a real need?   A quick nosema smear is easy and very quick to
do, but even with a count in front of us, we have no clear idea of what the numbers
mean in terms of bee survival or if we can replicate this count a week from now.

Would a strip be any better?

As for nosema, ever since Furgala's work, there have been periodic panics about
nosema and claims that it has a terrific toll.  I do not see it, and my guess is that it is
a secondary player and that the main actor may vary from year to year and place to
place.  I think Marla nailed it -- again.