From:
Brian Ames <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Aug 2009 18:41:52 -0400
On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 17:50:49 -0700, Paul Cherubini <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

  If there are honeybees working the bloom,
>what's stopping you and other beeks from posting videos
>of that fact on YouTube to document the alledged widespread
>label violations?

Paul with all due respect, if you kept bees you would know that while for instance the
basswood tree here in the upper midwest produced a decent crop this year, one might sit
under a basswood tree for days on end and never see a honeybee. All of a sudden one or
two days may occur where the bees are all over the tree and a crop is made.

Its not as simple as you imply. Most beekeepers have unhappy wives and are never home
and have no time to ponder You Tube etc.

The point you may not appreciate is bean and corn growers get subsidies and loans and
all kinds of help and always get a check. Whether they are skilled or not or good weather
or bad.  A beekeeper gets jack squat if his/her bees are weakened, dead, good crop or
failure.

And thanks for not trotting out your butterfly pictures :)

Lorsban is deadly to bees and pollinators and the label says do not spray on bloom. Not
my problem how the bean grower figures out how to do it without spraying on bloom.
Like anyone is pondering the beekeepers issues of keeping their bees alive and getting a
crop. What is wrong with this picture!!@!!!!!!

What's criminal in my mind is the state Ag depts who recommend Lorsban and do so
willingly knowing that beans are going to be in bloom sometimes when the spider mites
or aphids are at threshold. The whole damn system is stacked in favor of commodity
growers and against the beekeeper.  I am a state resident of Mn, pay my myriad of taxes
that fund the Ag dept. Whether I keep bees or not the Ag dept has a duty to protect the
environment and pollinators whether I can see a butterfly or bee on a single bean flower
or not.

I made my call and worked my way up to the director of pesticide enforcement
something something was his title. He acknowledged my observation and did not deny it
was true. He had little to offer me in the form of promises to enforce the law. I am
considering my options

During the course of my calls to MDA the person who takes complaints and investigates
them offered I could file a complaint on a grower or farm supply company doing the
spraying. I suggested I had no interest in going after one individual or company. The
issue to me is the MDA knowingly ignoring what is going on. I asked him if he could
investigate the state Ag dept for ignoring the label on Lorsban.  "We" agreed that his job
may be in jeporady if he was to grant me that idea.

 I wonder if a call to the Attorney General is needed since its obvious that the state ag
dept is at the real core of the problem.  I might call them next just to discuss the issue
and see what they think if my complaint is valid and would hold up in court.

A college professor I had once told me " people will respond to how they are being
measured or observed" the analogy is you drive a road every day and know where the
speed traps are and drive accordingly. This fear of being caught is non existent in the Ag
community and the state ag depts are in bed with the large organizations of growers and
chem pushers.

I grow apples and of course produce honey. In my business I expect to take some losses.
For example I don't bother much to spray for coddling moth anymore on apples. The
damage is obvious to the apple and most fall off the tree before harvest. You realize you
can't get every last apple to harvest or squeeze every last drop of honey from every
hive. Why can't Big Ag adopt that policy and leave some room for pollinators?

Who has the RIGHT to maximize their crops at the detriment of others?  What rights do
beekeepers have? What rights do the average citizen have to view butterflies and
pollinators free and doing their thing?  Who gave Big Ag control over the countryside?  If
spraying bloom is not bad enough, my other beef is farmers in MN 2-4-Ding the ditches
(via the country government)  and mowing/baling the right of way. Who said they owned
that forage? Do beekeepers and citizens have a right to see that right of way in bloom till
Sept?

All citizens need to take back control of the countryside and public right of ways!
Beekeepers should be given just as must respect as commodity growers!!!!

I believe these two issues, use of right of way and label laws are core issues we should
all fight for at the state level.