From:
Cusick Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2013 10:14:50 -0400
<So it is not necessarily a case of "what
will replace neonics", but rather it is partly a question of should we be
spreading long term acting insect poison as a matter or course (instead of
doing IPM). Would you put mite treatment in your hives before you even saw
a mite problem starting?  >

I think economics might come into play here too though.  How much more does
seed treated with neonics cost?  Say you only have to spray once every four
years because the rest of the time the crops are fine.  With seed
treatments there is 0 extra labor cost, only cost difference of the seed
(assuming you can find untreated).  If you try IPM you save on the cost
difference of the seed, but the years you do have to treat you have to buy
pesticide, probably in larger quantities than used on the seed treatment,
then apply it, probably in a way that spreads it around more.  You also
have to keep a close eye on the fields watching for problems, and take some
partial loss due to damage before you get out to treat.  If I was a farmer
with lots of different field to plant which way do you think I would lean
toward?  Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor of fewer pesticides and use a
little as possible, but pest management is an economic decision and seed
treatements appear to me to be a no brainer for a farmer trying to get
ahead.

I would also point out that mite treatments also tend to have deleterious
effects on the bees, which might actually be a good thing because it keeps
people from applying them as often.  I've never heard of pesticides
significantly damaging crops, but there might be something I've missed.

Jeremy
West Michigan