From:
George Hess <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1993 09:51:17 -0400

> > I am planning on relocating a hive in a week or so and need to know what the
> > criteria is for hive placement.  My back yard faces south but I would like
> > know is there is a dramatic need to have the hive in a full sun (getting
> > direct light all day long) location or will a tree sheltered spot be as
 good?

> > Also, hive door orientation?  Is south still the suggested direction?
>
> The hive doesn't necessarily have to be in the direct sun all day long.
> Having the hive entrance facing east will promote the earliest possible
> daily activity (nectar and pollen gathering).

In fact, from what I've read, since you're in the South you
probably don't want it in the sun all day long.  That Georgia
sun gets awful hot around midday and the bees have to do a lot
of work to keep it cool.  So the tree sheltered spot seems
preferable - it will get morning sun, but afternoon shade.

BIG DISCLAIMER:  I don't have any hives yet, but have been reading
up in preparation for a hive next spring.