From:
"Hawkes, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 1994 11:26:00 PST
     I started checking colonies in late January to see if supplemental
feeding was needed.  Usually I prepare a hard sugar cake which I place on
colonies needing feed until syrup can be given in the early spring.
     In recent years many colonies here have come into spring very weak
because of tracheal mite infestations.  In my area (Pennsylvania) brood
rearing resumes about February 1.  So this year I tried feeding 2:1
sugar-Crisco patties as supplemental feed and as a means of inhibiting TM
infestation of the emerging bees.
     These were large patties, about 1 cm thick by 15 cm in diameter.  I
placed them on the top bars, over the cluster.  A spacer was used to elevate
the inner cover to accomodate the patty as was done for the sugar cakes.
 I've given two of these to some colonies.
     Does anyone see problems with this rather massive application of grease
patties?  Do they make satisfactory winter feed--until it warms up enough
for syrup?
     I noted on that February 21 that Diana Sammataro wrote that her
research indicated that grease patties always present provided significant
TM control.

Robert Hawkes
West Chester, Pennsylvania