From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2007 08:54:59 -0600
Hello Allen & All,

I like my friend Allen participated in many of those discussions. I believe
the subject has been covered except for new information.

In the end you need to buy some foundation and try for yourself. After all
these years I am installing 25 pounds (as an experiment and in a manor
suggested by Dennis Murrel). posted on his website 'Bee Wrangler'. I am
tired of Dennis saying I need to try before commenting.

I tried a some frames about six years ago sent to me from South Africa ( AHB
foundation 4.9mm) and was not impressed with the results. Unlike Allen I
have not got pictures.

What I dislike about a new approach in beekeeping is the beekeepers which
learn about a new approach and then sing the praises before in many cases
ever trying. Was true in the early days of bath tub treatments for varroa
and
also small cell.

Example:

Last fall I got a phone call saying a Florida Beekeeper was singing the
praises of small cell to Florida beekeepers at the Florida State meeting. A
large commercial migratory beekeeper.

I thought. Wow! He must have tried on a small scale and is so impressed he
is changing his outfit. Also what others thought.

At the ABF convention he was still singing the praises. Finally I spoke with
the beekeeper. Seems he read about small cell on another list. Seems he has
never tried the first foundation yet but all his hives are being downsized
in spring.

I don't know how many hives he runs ( and never ask numbers of hives) but I
suspect 4-6 thousand. I hope for his sake he is successful! I like the guy
and really do wish success!

I learned years ago (the hard way) that putting all your eggs in one basket
is dangerous in beekeeping.

If the beekeeper is successful and has the same results as the Lusby's then
small cell use will take a big jump forward in my opinion.
but
Will take several years to confirm the results.

I think we all have been waiting for a large commercial beekeeper to embrace
the Lusby methods. The beekeeper is downsizing in two steps exactly as Dee
& Ed did.

NOT what I am doing this spring.

 The beekeeper and I had a nice conversation about small cell and he had
his facts right. The only part we were not in agreement on was he said all
the combs needed to be 4.9mm and Dennis Murrel and I believe only those in
the main brood nest. I did not argue the point as I base my opinion on what
Dennis M. has told me from his experience on not on my own experience.

I did feel it important to tell the beekeeper that I was testing 175 4.9mm
frames in May and the method I was using.

Experience trumps book and internet reading in my opinion.

If the beekeeper only ends up with a mess and quits halfway through then
small cell will take a leap backward. I do look forward to hearing of the
results of his huge experiment. Even if he does not see things the Lusby's
do he will have changed all his comb to clean comb.

If I was in Florida year around I would document the progress for a bee
magazine. If a Florida writer wants the job email me and I will send contact
information. I do not know if the beekeeper would want the rest of us
looking over his shoulder but he might.

Many on the list know of the beekeeper I speak of as you have heard of his
intentions. Not a secret.

bob

--
believed to be clean.