From:
Sid Pullinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 1997 08:22:57 GMT
<<<<<<No flame intended, but:
        So being a novice, I should look elsewhere for answers to my
elementary questions?  I've always been a "grab the bull by the horns"
type of person.  I was hoping to pick up a few pointers here.  My
vote would be to encourage anyone interested in bees.>>>>>

I suspected that I might be misunderstood.  <<<Look elsewhere.>>>   Look
everywhere, books, a good periodical and this bee list by all means. Having
written, lectured and advised on beekeeping for the last fifty years I would
be the last person to discourage anyone.  No one would dream of taking up
driving or playing the piano without some preliminary instruction and I feel
that that should apply to beekeeping as well.  My advice has always been
"Check it out before you spend a small fortune on bees and equipment.  Read,
join an association if possible and try your hand with a local established
beekeeper.  Then you can decide if that  is what you want."
I started beekeeping in 1930.  I consider that I have picked up a fair
amount of knowledge along the way but I am still reading - and learning.
I'm sorry if I upset you and perhaps others.     Sid P.
Sid Pullinger                    Email :  [log in to unmask]
36, Grange Rd                Compuserve:  [log in to unmask]
Alresford
Hants SO24 9HF
England