From:
Andreas Kasenides <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 1995 08:50:46 +0200
Dear Sid,

>Dear Andreas,
>Cannot help with the price of Apistan as only Bayvarol is approved
>in England.
>However, if you can help I would like to know when and how the mite reached
>Cyprus and whether it has become a serious threat yet.
>                               Sincerely             Sid Pullinger

Well the price of Apistan seems to be high everywhere around the world so I will
not complain. I actually payes around $22 US for a package of 10. Thanks to all
that gave us their input.
What is the active content in Bayvarol? Does it also come in
strips? In Cyprus everybody has been using Mavrik in liquid form which is also a
fluvalinate based drug like Apistan. Only recently has Apistan showed up.

Now for the mite. It actually reached Cyprus when I was overseas to US. That
was around 85-86-87 and it was a real disaster. I recall my granpa with over 30
traditional Cyprus style hives and around more than 10 regular hives. WHen I
returned in 1992 I could only find remnants of them. It took afew years to adjust
and many beekeepers never recovered. As for me I restarted the colony by
accident a couple of months after I arrived.
Varroa is a real threat here but at least there are prescibed methods now that
can bring it under control.

Regards
Andreas