From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2008 22:37:47 -0400
On 8-May-08, at 4:06 PM, Peter L. Borst wrote:

> If, for some reason, you don't want to use antibiotics as a prevention
> (and there are many good reasons not to), then you damned well better
> learn about diseases so that if you do get them you can treat them.

Hi Peter and all

Thanks Peter for your well written thoughts on "to treat or not to
treat".  Several years ago with 25 years of beekeeping under my belt,
I decided to step closer to organic beekeeping by not using Oxytet.
"I'm a good beekeeper"  I thought, "I can keep the foulbrood under
control without antibiotics".  I was wrong!  I learned very quickly
what foulbrood looks like and what burning frames look like.  I
bought a small book published in New Zealand "Elimination of AFB
Without the Use of Drugs" which I follow except that I resumed the
use of Oxytet as recommended in Ontario.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada
44N80W