From:
Ivan McGill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 1997 09:29:00 PST
> AUTHOR: Whitcombe, Harry J.
>             TITLE: Bees are my business, by Harry J. Whitcombe with John Scott
>                    Douglas.
>         PUBLISHED: New York, Putnam [1955]
>  PHYSICAL DETAILS: 245 p. illus. 21 cm.
>
>          SUBJECTS: Bee culture.
>
>              LCCN: 55-5774 /L
>
>This is about a guy who is a bee-breeder (not a honey-producer) and the
>story of his enterprise.  As I recall he flew plane loads of bees up to
>Canada and whatnot.  This must be the book you mean (I hope).

Hi:

The book in question (as far as I can gather) is out of print. A friend of
mine that lives close by has the book and I read it. In the 70's I can't
remember what year I was travelling with a fellow I know to pick up package
bees and we had supper at his house in Davis.

 In the early days of his beekeeping honey was a good part of his income.
He would take honey to San Fran. farmers market. As time went on he got
into queens and package bees. At supper we were talking about the number of
hives which as the most profitable. He use to operate approx. 4500 at one
time but after a few years of this, him and his wife sat down and figured
that they were making about as much with 500 colonies because they had to
hire no help. So according to what he told us he sold everything but 500.

After we came back my friend said that he had the book so I read it.
Everything that was described in the book as still in place, most if it
anyway.

If you want any more info I will try to supply.

Ivan